Saturday, September 12, 2009

Palm Beach Hotel in Dar Es Salaam


DAR ES SALAAM — I love the Palm Beach Hotel, and the people who work there -- my peaceful home away from home.

This photo captures the simple beauty of light and wood and linen in my room.
Light at the center of rest and work. I returned here after my days at the University and explorations of the city, to meditate, reflect, and write. At my bedside, Ngugi's Wizard of the Crow; on my desk, journal and notebooks and pencils and post-its; out of view are my netbook and water. What more could a writer need?

My highest praises to the entire staff of the Palm Beach Hotel, most especially:
  • Mr. Eric Buitendijk, the assistant general manager;
  • Mr. Bashir Nkoma, trainee in Reception, who is bilingual in Kiswahili and English, and can assist you as an excellent translator;
  • Mr. Iddi Tay, taxi driver appointed to the hotel, who knows everything and everywhere in Dar Es Salaam, and will get you there safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment