Sunday, August 9, 2009

Writing from Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Arrived safe and sound in Dar Es Salaam Sat 8 August, right on schedule -- about 3 PM Dar time (7 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time). Settled in at the hotel, went down to the open-air restaurant for some delicious bottled water, watched a little Tanzanian TV, and slept very well right until my wake-up call at 6:30 this morning.

Today I went to Kariakoo Market, other shopping districts, and to two points on the Indian Ocean - Slipway and Coco Beach. My guides on these excursions were the marvelous gentlemen Bashir and Mr. Idi, who work for the hotel. I have excellent photos of our day, but haven't been able to post them due to connectivity problems on this end. I may end up posting all pix after my return to U.S. -- Ditto for Twitter -- haven't been able to get on their site to tweet since landing in Dar.

The conference starts tomottow with opening ceremonies and the Burt Award event -- for excellence in African young adult fiction. I'll blog updates as often as I can from the conference, which is being held at the University of Dar Es Salaam.

2 comments:

  1. "Greet All Home People!" as we say in Nigeria. That is, say hello to everybody there -- from everybody in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing all about your wonderful experience. So glad you arrived safely!

    ReplyDelete